When we left for our world exploration adventure we did a lot of research, thinking, and list-making about what we were going to put in our 46-liter backpack. After 9-months of traveling we have made some discoveries of things we needed and didn’t have, as well as, things we rarely used. Still feeling we chose the right bag, here is an update on what is now in our backpacks.
- 1 x Note pad – It’s been great for taking notes about everything
- 1 x Adult coloring book and set of map pencils – adult relaxation time! (ended up sending it home because we wanted to get the weight of our bags down to 9 kg)
- 1 x Smaller Sling Bag – sometimes our 12-liter day packs are too big for just the essentials
- 3 x T-Shirts
- 2 x Collared Shirts – Had 3 but realized we didn’t wear them as much as we did back home.
- 3 x Tank Tops – Started with two but we added one since we have been in a lot of summer places!
- 1 x Long Sleeve T-Shirt
These take up almost half of our bag…really wish we didn’t have to have these for the few times we were in cooler places. Probably would have bought when we needed and donated so we had more room in our bag…still debating whether to send clothes home.
- 1 x Hoodie (both got new ones 8-months into the trip)
- 1 x Synthetic Down Jacket
- 1 x Rain Jacket
- 1 x Jeans
- 2 x Long Pants (zip-off) – had to replace 1 pair of pants (one pair was ruined because Kevin ironed his synthetic pants)
- 3 x Shorts – We had 2 pair but added one – we are in more warm weather places
- 1 x Comfy Shorts (for lounging around) – Added 1 pair of comfy pants, for the lounging times
- 1 x Rain Pants – We have been fairly lucky with the weather and haven’t needed to use them but a few times, probably would not have packed them. (sent home)
- 1 x Hiking Shoes
- 1 x Flip Flops – Replaced after 8-months
- 2 x Swim Suites – Added 1 pair, because they were awesome and had to have them
- 5 x Underwear
- 5 x Socks
- 1 x Hat
- 1 x Belt
- 1 x Gloves – Rarely use, probably would not have packed since we do not go to many super cold places (sent home)
- 1 x oversized Scarf – great to use as a sarong for temples and scarf for chilly weather
- 1 x beanie – the UK got a little cold and it was worth the few dollars. (sent home in summer)
- 1 x Travel Towel – rarely use because places provide them, but they are super nice when we do need them
- 1 x Sleeping Bag – After 11 days we got rid of them (we knew we would)
- 1 x Handkerchief
- 1 x Sunglasses & Case – Lost and replaced multiple pairs…Kevin looses his all the time.
- 1 x Water Bottle – Our collapsible one finally bit the dust. Currently using normal water bottles to refill.
- 1 x Bag Rain Cover
- 1 x Lock
- 1 x Security Cable
- 1 x Digital Bag Scale
- 1 x Multi-Tool Carabiner
- 1 x Eye Mask – rarely use (sent home)
- 6 x Ear Plugs
- 1 x Waterproof Bag
- 3 x Ziplock Bags
- 15 x Clothes Pins – a few broke along the way, but these were life savers for laundry days
- 1 x Clothes Line
- 1 x Sewing Kit
- 1 x Toiletries (all the goodies)
- 1 x Electric Shaver
- 1 x First Aid Kit
- 1 x Wine Bottle Opener – Spain’s equivalent to the TSA confiscated it from us saying it was not approved to travel with. It was a sad day.
- 1 x Collapsible Silicone Cup
- 1 x Business Cards
- 1 x Journal – Just purchased our second journal because we filled up our first one
- 1 x Pen – We have back ups for when the ink runs out
- 1 x electric hair clippers – we cut each others hair 95% of the time to save money
ELECTRONICS / GADGETS
- 1 x Phone – (Brad’s phone died and we are still figuring out if we need a second phone for him during the last few months of travel)
- 1 x Computer
- 1 x External HDD
- 1 x Ethernet Cable
- 1 x Camera, Extra Battery, & Extra Memory Card
- 1 x GoPro, Remote, & GoPro Stick – Have never used the remote. We can get an app on our phone to use so the remote is obsolete (sent remote home)
- 1 x Mini Tripod – (replaced with a new know 9-month into the trip, Kevin’s b-day present)
- 1 x Rechargeable AA Batteries
- 1 x Universal Power Adaptor – LIFE SAVER: It has worked beautifully. It also has two built-in USP ports. Only in South Africa did we have to purchase a separate plug adaptor.
- 1 x Headphones
- 1 x 2-Way Audio Amp (so we can listen to the same thing at the same time)
- 1 x Jambox MINI
- 1 x iPod Nano – LIFE SAVER: For those long, long journeys on busses and trains it is essential for listening to a good book or rocking out to music (plus side, it doesn’t kill our phone battery)
- 1 x USB Car Charger & USB Battery Pack
- 1 x computer mouse – Brad hates using a track pad when playing some computer games
- 1 x external hard drive – we take A LOT of photos!